What to Do When You Have Sewage or Black Water Damage
Restoration Experts of North Carolina handles sewage and black water damage right the first time. We will properly restore the structure while talking special attention to prevent further property damage and protect your health.
Call our 24-hour emergency line and we’ll get there as soon as possible. Until we arrive, you can minimize dangerous exposure and speed the restoration process by following these tips.
- Stop up all drain openings with plugs or stoppers to prevent additional backup. Extra weight may be required on the stopper to fully seal the drain.
- Toilets should be plugged with a string mop or wadded rags.
- Stay away from affected areas so contamination does not spread.
- Wear rubber boots and gloves if you absolutely have to walk through or touch any of the contaminated area.
- Turn off heating and air conditioning systems and block the flow from reaching exposed vents if possible.
- Don’t move affected items away from contaminated areas and don’t attempt to clean anything in the affected areas (walls, carpet, flooring, furniture, appliances, electronics, etc.).
- Contaminated clothing should be placed in a bag or container to minimize the spread of contamination.
- Wash yourself immediately if you have come into contact with contaminated water.
- Turn off power in all affected areas if circuit breakers can be accessed safely.
- Turn off all water connections at their entry point if the source of black water is coming from outside.