What to Do When You Have Fire & Smoke Damage
Restoration Experts of North Carolina has the staff, skills and equipment necessary to return structures damaged by fire, smoke and water back to normal fast. we’ll bill your insurance company directly and all necessary work will be performed with as little inconvenience and intrusion as possible. So call our 24-hour emergency line, and we’ll be on our way fast.
Until we arrive, here are some things you can do to minimize additional damage and speed the process of getting you back to normal.
- Limit movement in the structure to prevent spreading soot particles to carpet, upholstery, walls and woodwork. Keep your hands and shoe soles clean.
- Heavily trafficked areas should be lined with dry towels or old linens.
- Don’t turn your heating and air conditioning system on again until it can be inspected by a professional. Filters will need changing.
- To prevent soot from getting in or out of the duct system, tape a double layer of cheesecloth over air registers.
- Food or beverages that were in the damaged area may be contaminated, so avoid eating anything that you are unsure of.
- Do not turn on any ceiling fixtures in the affected rooms, especially if ceilings and walls are noticeably wet. Air movement can create secondary damage, so avoid turning on overhead fans.
- Don’t attempt to clean walls, carpet, flooring, furniture or any appliances/electronics before contacting us.